- Mark Shea's Request:
- Patheos > Catholic Channel > Catholic and Enjoying It!
A reader has a question for somebody knowledgable in history
March 31, 2014 By Mark Shea
- Quoting Letter from Reader:
- I know “The Mission” isn’t depicting a particular set of priests, but the decision to throw the indigenous peoples under the bus after converting seemed to be a joint decision of the Catholic Hierarchy and corrupt Monarchs- what exactly was the role of Catholic Hierarchy in these Jesuit missions and decisions regarding their fate?
- My answer:
- If you recall the Marquis of Pombal, he was not the kind of guy to give Catholic Hierarchy much choice.
He and Madame Pompadour were active in forcing Jesuits out of:
- Portugal with Colonies (highly relevant for Reductions run by Jesuits)
- France with Colonies (relevant for Missionaries sent to Iroquois)
- Protection of the Papacy even.
- My problem with posting my answer:
- We are unable to post your comment because you have been blocked by Catholic and Enjoying It!. Find out more.
lundi 31 mars 2014
Mark Shea Asking For the Commenter he Blocked
1) HGL's F.B. writings : Mark Shea Asking For the Commenter he Blocked, 2) Correspondence of Hans-Georg Lundahl : I had replied to John Horvath II about The One %, 3) John Ritchie Sent Me Mail