dimanche 9 août 2020

Writing Skills and Reading Skills


[William Paul Lazarus]
When I decided to become a writer, I was 7 years old. I taught myself and want to help anyone interested in writing. I've written a handbook based on my years as a professional writer and teaching writing.

It's available for free.

Just send me your email, and I will send the handbook back.

It will help you become a writer or improve your writing. It will also explain how to teach writing.

I know it worked for me. I have had 19 books (to date) published via five publishers, and had a successful career in newspapers, magazines, public relations, NASCAR and advertising. I still freelance for clients worldwide and have won numerous awards.

Now that I'm retired (from day to day work, not writing), I want to give back.

Ask for: How to Write
By William Paul Lazarus

Hans-Georg Lundahl
fine, I have read some of those ...

[William Paul Lazarus]
Cryptic and unclear. Good job as usual.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
It is a direct reply to your "I've written a handbook based on my years as a professional writer and teaching writing."

What other part of your message could have promoted a response about "reading some of those"?

Handbooks of writing have been part of my hobbies, especially when I have been bored ... and taking a hint or two from them has been part of the things making me less bored.

Hence the initial "fine".

All lacks of clarity remedied? Or still anything cryptic to you?

[William Paul Lazarus]
Hans-Georg Lundahl I sup[pose that's clear to you, but not me. Perhaps you've misunderstood the basic principle of communication is that the recipient should understand the message. No one should have to parse your meaning by analyzing it. This isn't a poem, for example, which can have hidden meanings. It's supposed to be a straight forward note. If it has to be analyzed, the writer has failed to communicate.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
"the basic principle of communication is that the recipient should understand the message."

No, the recipient should reasonably be expected to understand the message.

"No one should have to parse your meaning by analyzing it."

Not even the most obtuse?

"This isn't a poem, for example, which can have hidden meanings."

The meaning wasn't hidden.

"If it has to be analyzed, the writer has failed to communicate."

To that one recipient. I have no reason to believe one size fits all here. In Sweden, texts not supposed to be cryptic are given as assignments in "reading comprehension" in grade five or six. But even if they aren't cryptic, some of the fifth graders and sixth graders do fail comprehension.

If anything would be expected to perhaps be cryptic is, what none "those" referred back to.

The first noun in your text was "writer" and the second comes in the phrase: "I've written a handbook". Why should the noun that "those" referred back to come any later in your original message, when "handbook" [for those "interested in writing"] clearly makes sense?

Btw, I'd like to read "How to Write", since, as said, the genre is a favourite pastime of mine. Would you give it online or send a paper copy? And would you be willing to have it criticised for how it works in its genre (one in which I have some experience, though I wrote none myself)?

[William Paul Lazarus]
Hans-Georg Lundahl Enough bull. The communicator is responsible for his communication. If the receiver doesn't understand then the communicator didn't communicate. Period. I didn't spend years studying communication to have further discussions with someone who has no grasp of a simple fact.

Hans-Georg Lundahl I would be happy to send you a copy. I can't attach it to Facebook. I'm not printing a copy. I'm not sure how to put it online since it's too long for posting or putting in a blog. I am open to suggestions.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
Do you grasp the fact that you are not the only receiver?

You know my adress, and I prefer a paper copy anyway.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire