dimanche 5 mai 2019

Copyright on Narnia / Lost Road / Famous Five, brought up


Phil Melton
a partagé une publication.
2 mai, 02:28
...
Brenton Dickieson
a partagé un lien.
2 mai, 00:29
As you know, the Susan debate in Narnia has gone on for a long time. Last week, Kat Coffin share her thoughts on Susan, which started conversations in various facebook groups and on A Pilgrim in Narnia. I decided to take some time to think through the kinds of questions we should be asking when we have disturbing or engaging ideas in a text that we want to talk about. Here are 8 questions that we need to answer well to talk about this issue, which also work as a conversation starter for all good books.

8 Questions about the Problem of Susan Narnia Debate, or How to Read Well
Posted on May 1, 2019 | A Pilgrim in Narnia
https://apilgriminnarnia.com/2019/05/01/how-to-read-well/


(links to:

Lewis, Tolkien and Different Views of Fan Fiction
Posted on August 1, 2018 | A Pilgrim in Narnia
https://apilgriminnarnia.com/2018/08/01/csl-jrrt-copyright/
)

Hans-Georg Lundahl
Both on the "problem of Susan" side (bc my fan fic deals with it) and on related article on CSL/JRRT different attitudes to fan fic side:

En lengua romance en Antimodernism y de mis caminaciones : Prologue to Chronicle on Susan Pevensie : Chiefly on Fan Fiction
https://enfrancaissurantimodernism.blogspot.com/2019/01/prologue-to-chronicle-on-susan-pevensie.html

You have actually shown nothing in that other article stating JRRT was against fan fiction per se.

He may have been, but hating a misspelling in any edition of his own text is sth else than hating fan fictions, which by definition are someone else's text.

Could the Sir Orfeo he loved and translated be considered fan fic on some Greek work? Maybe. Could Troilus and Cressida by Chaucer be considered fan fic on some other Greek work? Maybe. Could Sir Gawain and the Green knight be considered fan fic on Nennius and did he write such himself? Maybe.

Either way : your example of Anne of Green Gables is not germane to the issue, since written by an author dead so long copyright control does not apply.

And it should not be applicable to fan fic offered for free on the internet, as mine is.

If anyone has a problem with the idea of my monetising my work (when it will, if ever, be ready, it is half written), in a paper edition, I have already stated that anyone wanting one such is advised to check with copy right holders of CSL, JRRT, Enid Blyton, while Father Brown's and Conan Doyle's copyright has expired.

However, it is absurd to - as I think some have done - paint my making fan fic as "stealing" or my non-right to unilaterally monetise my fan fic as a non-right about my own work as well.

My chapters on Susan Pevensie are so far about 75 and my overall blog posts are 7500. Give or take a few.

You don't block a whole production from monetisation because one very clearly defined percentage of it could be interpreted as copy right infringement.

Oh, by the way, I am very much guessing on who it is who may have contributed to my work (outside the fan fic) NOT being printed commercially at all.

If my guess is wrong, too bad.

Update
Some guys of course could be complaining about this very different type of potential copy right infringement (none in this example as yet, but may be upcoming if you answer):

HGL's F.B. writings : Copyright on Narnia / Lost Road / Famous Five, brought up
https://hglsfbwritings.blogspot.com/2019/05/copyright-on-narnia-lost-road-famous.html


Example where such could be an issue already:

HGL's F.B. writings : Shorty with William P. Lazarus on Geocentrism
https://hglsfbwritings.blogspot.com/2019/05/shorty-with-william-p-lazarus-on.html


And where it is so, if he dares take it to court:

HGL's F.B. writings : Matthew Hunt Tries to Ban my Previous Post and Starts Explaining Michelson Morly
https://hglsfbwritings.blogspot.com/2018/03/matthew-hunt-tries-to-ban-my-previous.html


In fact, this type of modern copy right sticklerism would have made impossible passages in Gospels where Pharisees are quoted (presumably without written previous consent, because they look stupid), or the dialogues with Gorgias and a few more by Socrates.


[added in FB:]

I owe an excuse for "You have actually shown nothing in that other article stating JRRT was against fan fiction per se."

I had missed the 1966 letter to Miss Hill. It may not be sufficient to demonstrate JRRT hated any and all fan fic, but it is an indication going that way.

He certainly hated the contents of two proposals of fan fic.

My excuse is now published in the post where I put this:


[after which I added a copy of following:]

Was so tired that:

  • a) I forgot to make the links clickable;
  • b) I had not noticed the letter by Tolkien in 12 December 1966 to Miss Hill.


It seems the post was not modified (I not sure wordpress does show "last modified" as blogger does), so I presumably skimmed over it.

My excuse is, some people are involved in making my situation as homeless so desperately stressed that I lose sleep over what places seem available but then either aren't, or aren't quiet. Also, in making it so I have less time on the internet (I got a notification 23.IV.2019 that the card to Nanterre UL had not been renewed and anyway they would during rebuilding works priorise students over external readers on computer time), and one hour is simply not enough to do good work.

Ma calibration, c'est la chronologie biblique is fairly good, it was done on a library where I had a two hour session, and it was started before first hour was over or even half over, as I recall, and ended only twenty minutes before the session was over.

Even so, I missed that my multiplied value for binary divisions of 5730 in 1234 years did not include the nearly three years left after deducting smaller and smaller halves and therefore 0.861639 is rather the value for 1231 than for 1234 years. Not very important, but I missed pointing it out.

This post was published yesterday 4:41 am Pacific time, meaning a pm hour in Paris (I'll have to correct Pacific to European time). This means it was not in a library session, and the cyber had some connection problems which made my writing there somewhat stressful./HGL

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire