vendredi 9 février 2024

C S L meme actually correct quotation


Confirming C.S. Lewis Quotations
"I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that."
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ConfirmLewisQuotes/posts/2554446321293192/




Marla Swoffer
I wish the picture wasn't of him smoking - kinda detracts from the sentiment ☺️

Ron Cuellar
The smoking likely undermined his health. Some of us have one or more habits that undermine our own health.

Mine often is eating too many Kettle Chips after work.

Marla Swoffer
I only mentioned it because it was coupled with that particular quote.

My health foible is not exercising.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
Considering he died of kidney failure, I suppose three beers in penitential seasons and more outside them and some overlove of English cuisine and of great pots of tea had more to do with it than pipes or - as here - cigarettes.

Marla Swoffer
...or it could have been the bottle of port he refers to in the quote, lol. My concern wasn't the health part, but of seeking the happiness he refers to through what can lead to a dependence on substances rather than relying on the Lord to give the joy that transcends fleeting pleasures. That's why I said the pic kind of undermines the quote.

Hans-Georg Lundahl
I don't think he shared the concern about "dependances", even if he had a binge drinking brother.

His point was anyway, Christianity is supposed to lead you to eternal happiness, it is not the best recipe for temporal one.


Context provided by the group owner:

William O'Flaherty
Admin
Principal contributor
Yes, it IS Lewis; from the article ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ON CHRISTIANITY. It is found in God in the Dock essay collection.

Here is the complete Q&A:

Question 11.

Which of the religions of the world gives to its followers the greatest happiness?

Lewis: Which of the religions of the world gives to its followers the greatest happiness? While it lasts, the religion of worshipping oneself is the best.

I have an elderly acquaintance of about eighty, who has lived a life of unbroken selfishness and self-admiration from the earliest years, and is, more or less, I regret to say, one of the happiest men I know. From the moral point of view it is very difficult! I am not approaching the question from that angle. As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity. I am certain there must be a patent American article on the market which will suit you far better, but I can't give any advice on it.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire